Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inaugural Weekend - Church Service of the Presidents

Today was an absolutely amazing and surreal day! I am in Washington, D.C. staying with Tiffany Swanson Hoehn, a long-lost friend from my childhood.

This morning I arose early, hopped on the Metro train from Virginia, and headed into the chaos of downtown Washington, as millions of visitors decend upon the city for this historial event. I exited the train near the White House at the McPherson stop to see what I would find. As I walked around, I happend by St. John's Episcopal Church at Lafayette Square, where every President since Woodrow Wilson has worshiped. It was 8:45 a.m., and there was a service starting at nine. Though it looked somewhat daunting and exclusive, I wandered in wearing my lime green sweater and Uggs, ready to brave large crowds on a long, cold day. I was welomed in by secret-service looking thugs wearing black suits and carnations, but went in anyway, no one stopping me.

I chose a secluded pew off to the right and sat quietly taking in the history, beauty and ornamentation of this historical little church. It had just been totally refurbished in preparation for President-Elect Barack Obama to worship here on inauguration day, this coming Tuesday, January 20th. The service was traditional and Episcopal, and I was just enjoying being there, taking in the choir, when we were invited to partake in communion. Wondering if I should tromple up there in my casual wear among the black suits and ties, I decided you only live once, CARPE DIEM. As I neared the alter, I looked down and viewed some distinct kneeling cusions in the first, second and third rows. It seems once a President worshiped there, his cusion was adorned in a custom-sewn covering with his name and date on it. Viewing Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Carter, Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelnt, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and on and on, I was snapped out of my trance and directed towards the alter. With this knowledge I kneeled and was immediately humbled and overcome by the thought of generations of Presidents kneeling and worshiping in the very spot I had landed this Sunday morning. I took communion and returned to my seat, reflective on what had just transpired, and attempting to hold back the tears of patriotism, honor, blessing and grace that I was experiencing at that very moment.

The service finished and I exited the church ready for my next moving and transformational experience in Washington on this inaugural weekend.

No comments: