Monday, January 19, 2009

Inauguration Eve - Ticket Pick Up

I love the hustle and bustle of a busy, city subway. Since I do travel quite a bit, I am pretty savvy at getting myself around, though I usually head out in the wrong direction, but often discover a lot of treasures along the wrong way. Today, I was ever so grateful that I had the forethought to pick up that additional METRO ticket yesterday when no one was around, and there were no lines to deal with.

I made the mistake of thinking that today would be a light and easy day. I would get up, take a quick trip downtown, arrive at the Cannon Federal Building between 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. as instructed and saunter in to get my ticket waiting for me at Congressman Phil Hare's office.

My host lives near the second to last stop on the subway, so getting onto the train is the easy part. It is about 14 stops (45 minutes) into the heart of DC. As we stopped at each spot, the train continued to fill up until I didn't think they could squeeze another body on. We finally arrived at Capitol South, my stop, right next to the Cannon Building. As all the happy visitors piled off the train, we abruptly haulted, unable to move another inch onto the platform, barely clearing the train doors. It seems we were stuck! After assessing the situation, we all slowly filed towards the stairs and up to the exit. I've never seen anything like it. People were carrying flags, adorning buttons, hats, shirts, etc., all in support of the incoming administration. Hope lives. It lives in the eyes of everyone who traveled to be here for this, eager to be a part of this massive community we call America. Eager to help build our roads, fix our healthcare system, take care of our poor, and unite our nation. Eager to be included in something, to be a part of it all, to be looked at and noticed and heard, to be given some glimmer of inspiration in these very trying times.

It took about a half an hour to maneuver our way up the stairs and out the door. It seems the bulk of tourists here were unaware you had to put the ticket back into the gate to be released also, so they were scrambling and looking for their stubs, taking photos, getting their children in order, and all in all, moving very slowly. However, I met two lovely gentlemen from the Phillipines as we walked, a guy from Iowa, some people from LA, and continued to make friends throughout the day. Everyone is overly friendly and eager break out into Kumbaya at full decibal at the drop of a hat, which is not my usual experience in situations like this.

As I exited the subway and walked towards the Cannon Building, I took in a suprising and somewhat dreadful sight. The line just to get in the far door snaked up the hill and ominously turned around the corner of the building. As I walked towards the other entrance, I came to realize there were 3 lines for the 3 different entrances, each wrapping the full length around the building. I choose one of them and jumped in. For the next 3 1/2 hours at 24 degrees, I met lovely people from North Carolina and we got to know each other quite well. I called the Congressman's office to express my anxiety that I may not be in the door by 1 p.m. They assured me they were remaining open - they too were shocked at the crowds and had never witnessed anything like this. I had a great discussion with a Navy Captain standing in my group - it is so interesting to get everyone's view of politics, their beliefs, and how they feel about this moment in history. He assured me that the President sets the tone for the nation, and if he surrounds himself with great people, together they will get the job done. We all agreed that we were optimistic about the tone that was taking place here today.

I finally reached freedom, where I was greeted by metal detectors, security guards, screening mechanisms, warm air and an indoor bathroom. After the essentials were taken care of, I made my way to room 428, greeted Shawn, Phil Hare's assistant, attempted to show my husband's passport to obtain my ticket (I had to pack quickly you know). That didn't work, so I dug out my regular old IL driver's license obtained after George Ryan was already imprisoned, and was given my packet containing the " golden ticket," which actually turned out to be silver. I had grabbed my passport (which turned out to be Mike's) - you never know when you may need to leave the country in a hurry, or when you may need further forms of identification at a historical Presidential Inauguration.

The tickets are ornamented, and include signed cards with Obama and Biden's signatures on them (see photos). How totally cool. I will keep it forever. As long as I don't lose it tomorrow.

I was going to take in some museums and sights today, but after I had thawed and returned back to the outdoors, my feet ached and I decided just to head to Union Station and take in some political shopping and head back. I took some photos on the way (posted). The entrance to Union Station was all tented up from Obama's arrival by train the other night. As I entered this beautiful and historic building, they were setting up for a very ornate inaugural ball tonight. People were bustling everywhere. I arrived around 1:50, entered a shop, and much to my dismay was thrown out of the shop and main hall almost immediately, as we were informed everything closed at 2 for set up. It seems J-Lo and Marc Anthony were performing there tonight, along with all the VIP guests that were expected along with them.

I gave up and headed towards the train area, tried to go downstairs and get a bite to eat, but that was blocked off too. I ended up with an Aunt Annie's Pretzel and slurpee, stood in a corner and ate it, and headed out (no eating on the train, it is very clean). I had endured my quota of excitment, crowds and cold for today, and wanted to be rested for the hastle of the activities tomorrow.

Train entry was relatively easy - the subway out here is great and easy to navigate, even for those of us who are navigationally challenged. I finally arrived "home" at Dunn on the orange line, gave my hosts a call, picked up my commemorative copy of the Washington Post, and headed out.

At one point today, I found out Oprah had taped her show here a few hours ago (how could this have happened that this information escaped me?) Not only did I miss being in the crowd for the live taping, but I missed the recorded version too? While I was eating a pretzel at Union Station? Would somebody clue me in about this stuff for me already?

I will be getting up at 5 a.m. tomorrow (a.k.a. O'Dark Thirty). The security gates to the ticketed areas open at 8, and I have no idea how long that line will be. We were instructed that we can only bring a bag 8x6x4 (what?!?!?!?!??) with all our provisions for a long day of sitting on the ground in the freezing cold and waiting. But it will all be worth it. I can't wait to be a part of this historical moment.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Neat. Let me get this straight - long lines, crowds and cold weather. I guess you have to be there to appreciate the event.

Ed