Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inauration Opening Ceremony - Lincoln Memorial

As Barack Obama, soon to be our 44th President, stated in my mailed invitation to the inauguration, this is the most open and public inauguration ever held in history, and it's the truth. Today, over 1 million people descended on the lawn of the National Mall, near the Lincoln Memorial for the opening ceremonies, "We Are One." After coming from the church service (read blog below), I took a private stroll in the wrong direction for a couple of blocks, finally got my bearings and headed up towards the concert on the National Mall. It was a brisk and chilly morning, around 32 degrees. I installed my Wal-Mart foot and hand warmers, also on sale along the street for $5 each (I got 10 for $5). Everyone was bundled up. I neared one of the 5 public entrance areas as I viewed Military Police and rows and rows of porta-potties ready for the crowd. We were asked to unbutton our coats and open our bags. We placed our bags on a table where they were lightly brisked through, my searcher not even nearing the bottom of all my garb. My MP asked me, "are you carring any pepper spray, mace, knives, guns or weapons of any sort?" Overly-annoyed at the lack of oral cavity searches and metal detectors I was expecting to see at an event of this sort, I immediately opened my mouth and responded, "do you think I would really tell you if I did?" Sensing the seriousness in his eyes, and contemplating the distinct possibility of having to take Carolyn Spencer up on her offer of emergency bail money, I quickly covered, gave a little laugh and said, "oh, just kidding, I don't really have anything, just wondered." He seemed content enough with that and let me continue on, sensing the emerging and inpatient crowd behind me.

Being alone, I figured I could shimmy my way near the front of the crowd, already hearing that 750,000 people had already entered the main gates by 11 a.m. (I do not know the validity of that number yet). I followed the cattle call towards the Lincoln Memorial until all of a sudden we came to a screeching halt. Looking around, I assessed that the further most leader had hit the front security gate and there was nowhere else to go. The lawn in that area was already packed, but I saw a 1x1 square of open possibility, hopped over several annoyed blanket people, and nuzzled into my square on the grass and dirt. An over- protective blanket dude behind me was not happy with my arrival, and continued to repeat that he arrived a 8 a.m. that morning, which he apparently felt entitled him to at least a 10x10 portion of that area of lawn. He continued to announce these facts and statistics throughout the day to anyone that attempted to pass near or by him, let alone take up residence on a portion of "his" lawn area. Sooner or later, we were all reduced to our individual standing room of our rightful 1x1, and he had to deal with it. Some smart alecs were yelling, "this is not my space, this is not your space, this is America's space!," and chants of "We Are One" would often spontaneouly erupt when other blanket guys were getting territorial about their space too. All was well except for the girl in front of us who called 9-1-1 when she felt her personal space was getting invaded. She must not hang out in crowds much.

After several hours of waiting, making friends with the Georgetown crowd to my right, and sharing cookies and a portion of my blanket with them, the opening ceremony began around 2:30 p.m. It was hard to see, being vertically challenged and all, but if I stood on my tippy toes and leaned left and right often enough, I could catch most of it. For the most part, the entire crowd was friendly, chilly, but in a euphoric mood and all thrilled to be right where we were today. At one point, the Presidential helicopter "Marine One" buzzed the crowd. We all thought it was Barack for a moment, but then realized it was Bush returning from Camp David, since Barack does not get official use of the air service until he takes office on Tuesday. The crowd broke into a soulful rendition of "Na na na na, hey, hey, hey, good-bye." Strange but probably warranted moment.

The ceremony was an amazing all-star line up. Denzel Washington opened with a reading, followed by "Lean on Me" with Mary J. Blighe, Aretha Franklin & Bon Jovi, "Little Pink Houses" with John Cougar Mellancamp, Stevie Wonder, "The Boss," Josh Grobin singing "America the Beautiful," Garth Brooks, Tiger Woods, Samuel L. Jackson, Martin Luther King III, Jennifer Neddles, Cheryl Crowe, James Taylor, Bono/U2, Usher, Shakira, Beyonce, along with Marine Corps bugles, and Navy Glee Clubs, etc., and many more that I just cannot remember right now. All sang either patriotic songs, or songs of hope and inspiration. Joe Biden spoke, then at last Obama was introduced onto the stage after 2 bald eagles from the National Park Service took flight. Everyone chanted O-Bam-A, O-Bam-A! It was an amazing show of support and unity, contrary to my feeling very alone at times in our barely blue county of Whiteside back in Illinois.

After two and a half hours of video clips about past-presidents, Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, the challenges ahead, military salutes and inspirational messages, along with all the amazing musical renditions, the day finally came to a close. What an overwhelming event to orchestrate, and invite everyone along that wants to to be a part of it.

As I followed the massive crowds out, I assessed the enormity of the event. Jumbo-trons spanned the length of the mall and turned the corner well outside of the gated areas, holding wall-to-wall crowds well past the Smithsonian areas. The line for the Metro train was an hour above ground just to reach the steps, and it took me nearly 2 hours to reach my destination in Virginia. We were "crush capacity," but everyone was sporting their Obama stocking hats, and shouting "We Are One!" It was a great sense of unity, comraderie, hope and inspiration, and I was thrilled to be a part of it all.

I can't wait for inauration day, and to take part in the ushering in of this new Administration. An administration of hope, unity, possibility, promise, peace and of course change, if nothing else. I think America is ready, along with the world.

With all the horribly surpressed, poverty-stricken areas of this world I have been fortunate enough to visit (and have attempted to make some small difference in), this is definately one of those moments (again) when I feel so blessed to have been born and live in this great nation, not to mention have meaningful employment, a wonderful home and family, and everything anyone could ever want. We live in a land of opportunity, promise, but most of all, freedom. Now, we have again made history and finally crossed that racial divide, embracing the phrase "All Men are Created Equal" which was stated so long ago in the Preamble of our US Constitution, but has taken us so many years to bring to fruition.

With the inauguration of each new President, the weight of the world is put upon them. Our 44th President will not only carry that weight in his heart, but also carries the hopes and dreams of a people who have waited for a moment like this for over 200 years. I look forward to this adminstration as do so many others, and cannot wait to see what CHANGEs lay ahead for our country.

No comments: